Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Snippet of the Day


Snippet of the Day

A knock on the door had Meg scurrying down the hall. She hoped it wasn’t the super. He wouldn’t like the fact that she’d painted. She left the chain attached, peering through into the dimly lit hall.  Sean’s sharply defined face met her gaze.
“Meg, right?” His lips broke into a mischievous grin. “I’m sorry if I spooked you. You got a minute?” She disengaged the chain and waved him through. “Wow.” He laughed. “I’ve stepped into a time warp. Where’s Austin Powers?” His laughter was amusing. Meg chuckled. Sean was as animated as the tattoos on his arm. He looked like a bull that had just stepped into a cluttered consignment shop. “Is that a real plant?” Sean’s gaze followed the ivy that wrapped around the living room.
“Yup, that plant’s almost fifteen years old.”
“Shit.” He shook his head. “Where do you get this stuff?” Sean canted his head, staring up at the lime-green tension-pole lamp Meg had anchored in the corner.
“I’m a bit of a consignment-store hound.”
“That’s cool. Hey, listen, I don’t know if you’re busy tonight, but—”
“Not at all.” Meg smiled, wanting to help. Her social life had been nonexistent since she’d arrived, not that there was much of one back home. Her mother’s illness had absorbed all of her time.
“I wanted Zane to go out tonight. He starts his treatments on Monday, but he wouldn’t go.” Sean frowned. “Could you just check on him, make sure he’s okay? I offered to stay, but he kinda rushed me off. I’m worried.”
“No problem. I’d be happy to.”
“Thanks, Meg. Hey, you have any tats?”
“Ah, no, I don’t.” Her heart kicked into overdrive, thinking of all 
those needles. Was this a come-on? Sean shoved his hands into his pockets. Black jeans hugged his strong, sturdy legs, nicely paired with a blue-and-green plaid pullover.
“I’m asking because you’ve got great skin, nice tone to it. I get twitchy when I see virgin flesh like yours.”
“Like a hairdresser with new shears?” she mocked.
 “Yeah.” His full lips curved into a smile. “When I see pristine skin, I just wanna mark it all up. If you change your mind, I’ll give you a 20- percent discount.”
“I’ll keep that in mind.” The thought of all that ink in her pores had her stomach rolling over. It was so forever, a tattoo.
DARK DAY BRIGHT NIGHT
 http://www.bookstrand.com/dark-day-bright-night

No comments:

Post a Comment