Monday, December 9, 2013

Snippet of the Day

Snippet of the Day

“Allie, where are you? Are you decent? I’m coming up.”
Allie could hear the slap of Tess's bare feet on the stairs. She shoved the magazine, along with the binoculars Tess had forgotten she’d left behind, into the nightstand.
 “Hey, what are you up to?” Tess glided across the floor in a pair of white shorts and a gingham halter. She plopped down in Allie’s wicker bucket chair, draping a shapely leg over the arm.
“Not a whole lot. I’m ahead on my sketches so I did some gardening and reading. What’s new?”
“Has Marty been out?” Her dark eyes rested on Allie.
“I haven’t seen him today. Why?” Allie searched her face, wondering if Tess would tell her about their date. Allie decided to throw her a curve. “How was your dinner date?”
“Why? Did he say anything to you about it?” Tess’s eyes widened.
Allie noted the expression of alarm on her face. Tess was never anxious about anything.
“He mentioned that he was going, but...”
“When?” She ran her hand up and down her brown, shiny leg.
 “He asked me to do some stenciling on one of his pieces, so he just happened to mention it.” Allie shrugged.
“Really. Now isn’t that nice.” Her voice was a bit condescending.
 “It’s not a big deal, Tess.” What sounded like sarcasm came out with a hint of cattiness. “Your next male expedition is safe with me.” Allie gave her a snide look. “I guess I get no scoop on the dinner, huh?” 
Tess looked out the window. A slight frown twisted her curved and pouty lips. “He’s too reserved. I have to work on him some more. I’ll get him.” Tess turned to her and smiled, her pearly teeth catching her lower lip.
“What do you mean? You couldn’t make the sack on the first night?” Allie felt bold today. Maybe part of her was sticking up for Marty.
“Be careful, Allie.” Tess’s eyes narrowed.
“Oh, come on, cut the guy some slack. Reserved or not, I call it respect.”
“Respect’s no fun.” Tess jumped off the chair. “Let’s go to my place, grab a snack, and take a swim.” She stood in the threshold, her fingers threading through her hair.
“Let me get my suit.”
THE SOUTH WINDOW
 http://www.bookstrand.com/the-south-window

No comments:

Post a Comment