Monday, December 16, 2013

Snippet of the Day

Snippet of the Day

Marty stood up and took his mug to the sink. He was eyeing the jars of jam.
“Do I get one?” He smiled, the whites of his eyes pink with fatigue.
“Sure, as soon as they’re sealed.”
“Hey, Allie, are you done here?” He pointed to the aftermath of her culinary project.
“Yup, all done.” She got up to wash the two mugs.
“Come for a ride with me.” He leaned against the threshold. “I have to get some stuff for the house at the hardware store. Wanna tag along?”
“Okay, I’ll get my purse.” She went into the dining room and grabbed her purse off the table. “Where’s Tess?” she asked, attempting another delicate probe into their late evening.
Marty chuckled. A bit of sarcasm laced the tone of his laughter.
 “She’s probably still in bed. I won’t hear from her till at least four o’clock.”
Allie hoped he was right. Yesterday’s episode with the rocking chair was enough. They stepped off the porch and walked over to his black F-150. She hopped in and buckled up. The distinctive, rumbling hum of a diesel engine came to life.
They headed toward town, the heated breeze blowing through the cab. Allie stared out the window at the cows grazing in the fields. Marty’s quick sideward glances pushed through her periphery. At one point Allie turned, and her eyes caught his. Their gaze connected as moments passed in a silence that had her shifting in her seat. 
“So would you call those eyes forest green or moss?” He smiled, linking her eye color to the shades of paint they had used. Allie looked away, feeling the heat that seemed to accompany Marty whenever he was near. “I’m sorry.” He reached for her, patting her shoulder casually. 
“I guess we’ll call them hazel.” She laughed nervously, brushing off the comment.
“You think? They seem pretty green to me.” He looked at her again, the hair on his neck lifting in the breeze. His slow and easy smile had her turning away again. The air in the cab grew heavy. Marty’s earthy smell filled her nose.
“They look blue sometimes if I’m wearing blue,” Allie admitted.
“Mm, I’ll keep that in mind.” He turned down Main Street and pulled up against the curb. He told her he was running into Landisville Hardware, cutting off the engine. 
“I might go into Leah’s Boutique. I’ll just be a minute,” she said, stepping down from the truck.
“Hey, take your time.” 
THE SOUTH WINDOW
 http://www.bookstrand.com/the-south-window

No comments:

Post a Comment