Saturday, October 26, 2013

Snippet of the Day


Snippet of the Day

All the medication was doing was making him sick. Before the treatments began, Zane didn’t even feel like he had cancer, with the exception of the nagging pain in his gut, a few swollen lymph nodes in his groin, and a bad blood test. The doctor wasn’t pleased with his latest lab results, so now he had to go to the hospital for his treatments. For hours he’d sit in the infusion center with ten to twenty other people, watching the liquid chemo drip into his veins.
Zane’s eyes would wander from one patient to the other, questioning where the cancer was eating away at their bodies and how much longer their clock would tick. The most depressing thing was that he was the youngest of the group.
“I know I’m a dead man.” Joe slowly shook his head. “I’m only doing this for my wife.” Joe had a stage-four liver cancer. Zane just sat and listened. He didn’t know what to say. Words swarmed around in his brain like locusts. What did you say to a man who was dying? When Zane told him he had Hodgkin’s, Joe made it his calling to breathe new life into him. His optimism reminded him of Meg. She’d been scarce lately, but then so had he. 
“You’ve got it in the bag.” Joe reached over, nudging his leg. Their IV lines crossed, tangling together. “You’re a young man, got your whole life ahead of you.”
“If I’ve got my whole life ahead of me, then why do I feel like total shit?” Zane huffed.
“You gotta trudge through the muck to get to the good stuff. I wish I had your disease. I’d be looking ahead. Now all I’m doing is trying to decide if I want my coffin open or closed.” Joe's hissing breaths echoed through the sterile room. 
"I gotta get out of here," Zane grumbled, feeling the walls closing in. 
"You will," Joe told him.  "You'll make it." 
DARK DAY BRIGHT NIGHT
http://www.bookstrand.com/dark-day-bright-night

No comments:

Post a Comment